Our passion is to dig deeply into God’s Word. We want to ignite the same excitement in everyone who participates in the teachings we provide.
Why do we need God’s Word?
Our world is messed up and God’s Word is our only hope to know Jesus and to live joyfully.
- The Word is our light in this present darkness… Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path. Psalm 119:105
- The Word helps us know the Shepherd. John 10, John 15
- The Word helps us become who were created to be. Genesis 1:17
- The Word equips us with all things necessary to live a godly life of joy. 2 Peter 1:3
- The Word teaches what is right, corrects what is wrong trains us to do what right. 2 Timothy 3:16-17
How Do I Study God’s Word?
You need two things to study God’s Word: a copy of the Bible and the Holy Spirit. A Bible can be purchased from our store, any online or retail outlet, or perhaps you have multiple copies on your shelf at home. (If you can’t afford a Bible, please let us know.) Personally, I read and study the New Living Translation. It is written on a sixth-grade reading level. As one who has always struggled with reading comprehension and application, this translation is awesome. I have been, on some occasions, felt no shame in pulling my kid’s children’s Bible from the shelf. I advise to get a Bible easy to understand. (Maybe you are laughing, I can’t understand any Bible.) The understanding part comes when we initiate a relationship with Jesus and receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
When we confess Jesus as our Savior (Romans 10:9), the Holy Spirit comes to dwell in our heart. The Holy Spirit is our Teacher. (John 14:26). He will teach us everything we need to know, and give us a peace concerning what we don’t know, especially when it comes to how to study God’s word.
- Read the passage of Scripture. I read the One Year Chronological Bible: NLT every day. The New Living Translation is one I can easily understand.
- Pray for understanding and application. Lord, reveal what You want me to know.
- Open my computer to read and study different commentaries on free sites: Studylight.org, Biblehub.com, and Biblegateway.com. Some of the celebrated Bible commentaries I recommend are from Matthew Henry; David Guzik; and Jamieson-Fausset-Brown.
- Celebrate what the Spirit reveals and make notes in my journal of how I can live the truth out in my daily life. And if I still don’t understand? I move on. Yes, I said I move on. I trust God to reveal what He wants me to know when He wants me to know it. It’s important to live out what He reveals rather than get caught up in what we don’t understand.
Resources for Studying God’s Word
We use many online websites to enhance our learning. These sites are free, so check them out. Let us warn you – one click will lead to another and before you know it you are totally immersed in studying the Word and loving every minute of it!
Looking for the Journal Freebies?
If you haven’t enrolled in Read Thru the Word, now is time. Click here to begin the adventure.